- 1 What is the dress code for theatre in London?
- 2 What do you wear to the theatre?
- 3 Can you go to the toilet during the theatre?
- 4 What do you wear to a theatre press night?
- 5 Do you need to dress up for theatre?
- 6 What do people wear to a West End show?
- 7 Is it OK to wear jeans to a Broadway show?
- 8 How early should I arrive at the theatre?
- 9 Can you wear jeans to a musical?
- 10 Can you take bags into London Theatres?
- 11 Is there a dress code for Sondheim Theatre?
- 12 How long are West End intervals?
- 13 What are the rules of Theatre etiquette?
- 14 What is a Theatre gala night?
- 15 What should men wear to a musical?
What is the dress code for theatre in London?
Your London theatre attire should generally be ‘ smart-casual’, or casual. When you are taking a London theatre UK trip, whether a matinee or an evening performance your clothes should be appropriate for the occasion at any of the London theatre venues.
What do you wear to the theatre?
These events usually require patrons to revert to the theatre dressing of old – for men this means a lounge suit, or at least shirt and slacks, and for women this means after-five wear such as a dress, or skirt and top ensemble.
Can you go to the toilet during the theatre?
We know that queues for the toilet in a theatre can be as long as the Nile, but getting up during the performance to empty your bladder is not acceptable, it’s distracting to those around you and often to those on stage. So either join the queue or go before you get to the theatre, we hear McDonalds toilets are lovely.
What do you wear to a theatre press night?
Press and Gala Nights require formal attire as they are usually red carpet events.
Do you need to dress up for theatre?
Going to the theatre is a special occasion, so you may want to dress up. But, it’s best to be in a comfortable outfit, as you don’t want to spend a few hours sitting down with blistered feet after walking around the city or sitting in an outfit that’s too tight!
What do people wear to a West End show?
From a casual t-shirt, jeans and trainers to a tuxedo or formal dress, there are no dress codes. You could turn up to the theatre wearing anything and be permitted entry. For some theatrical events, such as a first preview, press nights, galas and opening nights, it may be worth donning a “smart-casual” outfit.
Is it OK to wear jeans to a Broadway show?
Both formal and informal clothing is accepted. From casual t-shirts, jeans and flip-flops to a cocktail dress or tuxedo, the spectrum of style formality is so wide that there is no specific dress code.
How early should I arrive at the theatre?
We recommend patrons arrive at least 30 minutes before the show to avoid last-minute lines at the Box Office. Large groups should allow more time before the show to distribute tickets. We recommend an hour before the performance.
Can you wear jeans to a musical?
Instead of wearing ripped jeans out for the day, choose a pair of crisp black jeans. For men, khaki pants or dark jeans and a collared or golf shirt work perfectly for matinees. At night, dark jeans or slacks and a button-down shirt is appropriate with casual shoes like Clarks, not tennis shoes.
Can you take bags into London Theatres?
Suitcases are not permitted inside the auditorium and we have no cloakroom facilities. Please make other arrangements for suitcases or large rucksacks before arriving at the theatre.
Is there a dress code for Sondheim Theatre?
There isn’t a strict dress code policy for shows at the Sondheim Theatre. You should wear something comfortable and appropriate for the occasion.
How long are West End intervals?
Traditionally both plays and musicals last around two-and-a-half hours including interval. Through the 50s and 60s when Broadway musicals were being churned out in a semi-conveyor belt fashion, you could almost set your watch by certain elements of the shows.
What are the rules of Theatre etiquette?
- Turn Off Your Cell Phone.
- Don’t Send Text Messages During the Show.
- There is no photography or videoing allowed in the theater.
- Eat Your Dinner Before the Show, Not DURING It.
- If You Have To Cough, Cover Your Mouth.
- Unwrap Cough Drops and Candies in Advance.
- Don’t Be A Disruptive Miss (or Mr.)
What is a Theatre gala night?
gala night in British English (ˈɡɑːlə naɪt) theatre. a variety of performances, songs, etc, shown over one evening.
What should men wear to a musical?
Smart Casual Do’s:
- jacket or blazer.
- cardigan or jumper.
- dress trousers, chinos.
- closed shoes.
- dark socks.
- long sleeved shirt.
- polo shirt or tennis shirt.
- tie is optional.