- 1 What should I bring to a musical Theatre audition?
- 2 How do you prepare for a musical Theatre performance?
- 3 What should you not sing at a musical Theatre audition?
- 4 What is the best color to wear to an audition?
- 5 Can you wear jeans to an audition?
- 6 Can you do musical Theatre if you can’t sing?
- 7 What happens at a musical Theatre audition?
- 8 What do you wear to a musical Theatre audition?
- 9 What makes a good musical Theatre performer?
- 10 How do you prepare for a musical?
- 11 What should I do before my first performance?
- 12 What do judges look for in singing auditions?
- 13 How do you pick a song for an audition?
What should I bring to a musical Theatre audition?
4 Things to Bring to Your Audition (That You Might Forget)
- A Journal. The minute you leave your audition it’s all going to feel like a blur.
- Change of Clothes. If you are auditioning for Musical Theatre or Dance, you know that you will need a change of clothes for the dance calls.
- Extra Headshots and Resumes.
How do you prepare for a musical Theatre performance?
The Best Ways To Get Ready For Opening Night
- Rest and Relax. Opening night might be the beginning of the performances but they also mark the end of tech week, we we all know is exhausting.
- Don’t Worry About Your Lines. You know your lines, I promise you do.
- Eat Something.
- Watch a Movie.
- Get Some Alone Time Before Places.
What should you not sing at a musical Theatre audition?
Top Songs to Avoid at an Audition
- “Popular” from Wicked.
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked.
- “For Good” from Wicked.
- “Gimme Gimme” from Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- “Not For the Life of Me” from Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Misérables.
- “On My Own” from Les Misérables.
- “Bring Him Home” from Les Misérables.
What is the best color to wear to an audition?
Grey, blue, and other neutral colors work best for auditions. Try to avoid white backdrops or any distracting patterns in the background. Also, take note of what clothes you’re wearing. If you’re using a blue backdrop, don’t wear a blue shirt (you don’t want to look like a floating head).
Can you wear jeans to an audition?
Keep It Casual Your clothes shouldn’t be a wrinkled mess, but you also shouldn’t be wearing business attire to an audition. A good pair of jeans can go a long way, and it’s worth investing in a pair for auditions alone. Women can get away with pretty much any clothing option, as long as it isn’t too revealing.
Can you do musical Theatre if you can’t sing?
If you’ve ever wondered if you should audition for a musical when you can’t sing, the answer is, unequivocally: Yes! Musicals need all types of people: dancers, actors, singers, and people to fill the stage in big crowd numbers.
What happens at a musical Theatre audition?
Generally auditions are two to three minutes long. Make sure you have a monologue that shows your strengths and is a minute in length. Your music piece should be sixteen bars of a piece that shows your range. Dance auditions are usually held separately and later after the individual auditions.
What do you wear to a musical Theatre audition?
Nice jeans, fashionable sneakers, boots, dresses, skirts, jumpsuits, dress pants, button-down shirts, etc…are all acceptable. A suit jacket is probably too formal, and a tie is not mandatory with a button-down shirt, but you can wear a tie or bow tie, if it suits your personal style.
What makes a good musical Theatre performer?
1. Acting ability: A person’s theatrical “instincts”; believability as a character; versatility; willingness to try new things; and learned and developed skills that provide a broad intellectual and emotional pallet from which to draw. 2. Vocal ability: A person’s vocal quality, flexibility, and range.
How do you prepare for a musical?
How To Prepare For Your First Musical Theater Audition?
- Dress Appropriately.
- Have The Right Material.
- Bring Extra Music.
- Know Your Character.
- Turn Off Your Phone.
- Talk to the Accompanist.
- Roll With the Punches.
- Be Nice to Everyone In And Around The Audition.
What should I do before my first performance?
5 Things to Do Before You Play Your First Concert
- Ensure You’re Ready. View Stock / Getty Images.
- Practice, Practice, Practice. Westend61 / Getty Images.
- Solicit Feedback. martin-dm / Getty Images.
- Get Your Social Media Game On. Pattanaphong Khuankaew / EyeEm / Getty Images.
- Know Who Else Is Playing. MStudioImages / Getty Images.
What do judges look for in singing auditions?
Judge and professional cellist Jeffrey Solow states, “Judges look for technical excellence, beautiful tone, intelligent and informed interpretative decisions, plus personality and communication.” Don’t be afraid to loosen up and move with the music as comfortably on stage as you do at home.
How do you pick a song for an audition?
Some ideas on choosing the perfect audition song:
- Go through the list of songs you sing or listen on Spotify or Youtube for song ideas.
- Find a song that suits your vocal style and range.
- Ask yourself is it a song that showcases your voice.
- Is the song suitable for the genre or the role you are auditioning for.