- 1 When did musical Theatre originate?
- 2 What was the very first musical?
- 3 How did American musical Theatre start?
- 4 What is the oldest Broadway musical?
- 5 Who were two of the most famous musical theater composers?
- 6 What was the first modern musical?
- 7 What is the best American musical?
- 8 Who started musical Theatre?
- 9 Why is musical Theatre so popular?
- 10 What is the most played song ever?
- 11 What is the greatest musical of all time?
When did musical Theatre originate?
The antecedents of musical theatre in Europe can be traced back to the theatre of ancient Greece, where music and dance were included in stage comedies and tragedies during the 5th century BCE.
What was the very first musical?
The first theater piece that conforms to the modern conception of a musical is generally considered to be The Black Crook, which premiered in New York on September 12, 1866. The production was a staggering five-and-a-half hours long, but despite its length, it ran for a record-breaking 474 performances.
How did American musical Theatre start?
The form we know as musical comedy was born in a series of shows produced between 1878 and 1884 featuring characters and situations from New York’s lower classes. With these distinctly American musicals, Harrigan, Hart, and David Braham carved a path Broadway would follow profitably for more than a century to come.
What is the oldest Broadway musical?
The Phantom of the Opera The longest-running show in Broadway history officially opened on January 26, 1988 and is still playing at the Majestic The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical won 7 1988 Tony Awards® including Best Musical.
Who were two of the most famous musical theater composers?
We’ve compiled our top 10 list of musical theatre composers in a handy list:
- Stephen Sondheim. This American lyricist and composer has a career spanning more than 50 decades.
- George Gershwin.
- Jeanine Tesori.
- Oscar Hammerstein II.
- Leonard Bernstein.
- Irving Berlin.
- Alan Menken.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber.
What was the first modern musical?
This was an advertisement poster for the 1866 production of “The Black Crook “, which many consider to be the first modern musical.
What is the best American musical?
AFI’s 100 YEARS OF MUSICALS
- Singin’ in the Rain (1952) Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
- West Side Story (1961) West Side Story (1961)
- The Wizard of Oz (1939) The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- The Sound of Music (1965) The Sound of Music (1965)
- Cabaret (1972) Cabaret (1972)
- Mary Poppins (1964)
- A Star Is Born (1954)
- My Fair Lady (1964)
Who started musical Theatre?
Historians believe that musical theater began in ancient Greece about 2,500 years ago. The ancient Greeks staged comedies and tragedies that included music and dance in open-air amphitheaters. Later, Roman comedies also included song and dance routines performed with orchestra music.
Why is musical Theatre so popular?
As for why musicals are so popular, Friedman said, “ It’s a fun entertainment,” and, “People want to be entertained.” He said musicals have happy endings and offer escapism adding, “Fantasy is part of it.”
What is the most played song ever?
Probably, but for the sake of it, here are the 10 most popular songs in the world according to YouTube.
- Luis Fonsi – Despacito ft.
- Ed Sheeran – Shape of You – 5.4 billion views.
- Wiz Khalifa – See You Again ft.
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk ft.
- PSY – Gangnam Style – 4.1 billion views.
- Justin Bieber – Sorry – 3.4 billion views.
What is the greatest musical of all time?
Readers’ Poll: The 10 Best Musicals of All Time
- ‘West Side Story’ The passion and rebellion of West Side Story still lingers today.
- ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’
- ‘Les Misérables’
- ‘The Rocky Horror Show’